Monday, August 15, 2011

Asia Holds My Heart

Hello everyone!!!! I can't believe that I've been back already for a week! It seems like just yesterday I was waking up every morning in China. =) As this week has gone by I've been able to think about everything that happened in and through me this summer in China. So this post is a short summary of my 2 months in China. =) I have lots of pictures on facebook!!! Be sure to check them out. If you are unable to get on facebook, let me know and I'll send pictures to you. =) This probably won't be the last post! So check back periodically to see new blog posts! I start IHOPU on Thursday so my time won't be as readily available to blog, but I will hopefully be able to find time to continue to write about the journey God is taking me on!

Crazy things I've eaten: yak, huge pieces of pork fat (uncooked), yak butter, duck neck, yak butter tea with raw egg (Gesang says it makes you stronger =)-and she said we had to drink all of our tea, so I ended up drinking two huge bowls of yak butter tea with raw egg!), chicken feet (I brought some back if anyone wants to try some!), probably dog (though consciously I never chose to eat it), yellow flower, lotus root (it's really yummy!), real Chinese dumplings (they were so delicious-but I got sick every time), and much more!

One of the many things I was able to be a part of was early morning prayer. Most weekdays, except the rainy ones, Amanda, Joyce, Sunshine, and I would all meet in the local park/square about 2 blocks from the Winkles house to pray. We would pray for our needs, needs of our family, pray for people in the park, and for China as a nation. It was so great to be able to contend with others for the restoration of China back to the One True God! =) I was also able to participate in Jason's class. It was here that many revelations in the Bible became clear to me and I was able to understand them. My heart was stretched and grew in many ways! I learned to let God have complete control over every aspect of my life and not worry about anything. I evaluated my own heart to see if there was fruit coming off my life, and if not, then how to produce fruit. I learned to see people as the Image of God. I learned that our lives as Christians should be ministering to others no matter what we are doing. When God tells you to do something that doesn't agree with your culture, what are you going to do? I learned that forgiveness is not always easy, but is always necessary. What is my life going to look like in Heaven?-I want that same life now. I learned that we are to pray continually. I learned that our whole life purpose is to love. In Jason's class, I learned so many important, vital Biblical truths that needed to be applied to my life. The fun thing was, after class we got to go out into the city and use them!

We would go to the local Mosque often to eat lunch and pray for them. It was so much fun to see them changing right before our eyes as we just befriended them and loved on them for Jesus. =) I got to encourage and spend time with local Chinese believers. Many of my closest friends came from this group! We were able to sit in a Tibetan kitchen, in a remote village (they only had horses and tractors-everything they had there came over the 12,000 ft mountain) for 3 days and share the love of God with the Tibetan people! It was so much fun to live in their house and just spend time with them......and teach them English and tell them they are made in the Image of God. I thank God for allowing me to meet Adin, his wife Gesang, Gesang's brother, ShuShu (Gesang's uncle), and NaiNai (her grandmother)! =) The Tibetans continue to climb the 12,000 foot mountain until they are 80yrs old! I also learned how to write my name in Tibetan and Chinese. =)

One of my favorite memories and time of my entire life happened when we went up to Tibet.We hiked down to the river that comes from the melting glaciers on the 24,000 ft mountains. The water was so powerful and cold! It was absolutely incredible. We hiked on some of the big rocks in the middle of the river. Jason had thought to bring my ipod speakers so after we had a snack we pulled out the speakers. And in the middle of the Himalayan mountains, in the midst of the beautiful glacier 24,000 ft mountains, in the quiet of an un-reached village, with the cold mist from the river splashing on us, we worshiped the Creator of the Universe. We worshiped the true God who made the mountains we were sitting in, the creator of the roaring river below us, the creator of the Tibetan people we were among, and the God that knew this little village in the middle of no where existed......we worshiped that God! =) It was my favorite moment of my entire life!

I was able to assistant teach and teach English class at EZTalk to preteens. One morning I went to Mari's house to pray for her and her students as they were headed to Hungary on a mission trip. They are piano players and were going to use their talent to worship the Lord and begin conversations with others. I was also able to hangout with Jason's students and love on them. They are so awesome and full of incredible passion and zeal for pursuing the things of the Lord. One of the really cool things was that I got to see a girl get saved! Amanda had been meeting with her over the summer and the day before Amanda left, this precious girl accepted Jesus! This was such an incredible blessing to Amanda! I was able to continue to disciple her, spend time with her, and encourage her the rest of the two weeks I was there. Felicia and a Chinese believer are continuing the work that Amanda has begun. =) On Tuesday evenings, we would meet with a couple other families to pray. We would pray for each other as well as China and the local community of Kunming. It was such a refreshing time to be able to come together with one heart and cry out to God for his will to be done on the earth.

I was also able to do worship dance! Hannah Grace and I had a blast worshiping God with our bodies in movement! I miss being able to dance with her! I lead a couple of worship dance workshops and was able to worship dance in the den during family worship times with Hannah Grace. We also got to dance in the park/square three times. It was incredible to realize as I was dancing that I was in the middle of a park with thousands of Chinese around me, worshiping the creator of the universe, dancing to Christian music blaring in the heart of the city! God is so cool!!!

While I was in China, I gained two parents, an older sister, a younger sister, and two younger brothers. I absolutely loved living with the Winkles and Amanda and wouldn't trade that time for anything in the world! They were such an incredible blessing and encouragement to me. Through them, I was brought closer to the heart of God and learned so much about who I am and who God is. I love you guys so much!

As you can tell from the title of this blog post and from what I've been able to share, Asia truly does hold my heart! I love the people, the culture, the language, the atmosphere, the land.....everything! One of the things that I found out while in China is that I'm called to be a missionary full time to Asia. I've known since I was 12 that I was going to be a full time missionary but didn't know where exactly. But now I know, Asia! =) This excites me beyond anything you can imagine! I'm still not completely sure of which country or which city, but the area of the world has been identified. =)

I can't wait to see how God continues to use me and teach me from things I experienced this summer. I know that whatever his plans for me, they are good and the better than any plans I could ever create! Jesus is teaching me how to follow in His footsteps. It is an exciting and beautiful journey! I can't wait to see where His footsteps lead! Thank you so much for helping me along this journey. Your prayers and financial blessings were greatly appreciated! I am praying Jesus will bless you for following His voice and blessing me above and beyond as well! THANK YOU!!!!!

Blessings,
Ashton =)

2 comments:

  1. Papa can surely relate to "your very favorite time": in the middle of the river, with 24,000 foot peaks, with worship music. In His Creation is where I hear the most and the clearest from our Creator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashton you make us so proud and humble. You are a true example of a dedicated Christian. I hope you publish a book some day. Love you so much. Grandma

    ReplyDelete